Baileys Blog Search
30th October 2017
Minus 1 and dry when driving in.. Yes the first minus of the winter.
How could 57 miles take over two hours? Well it always does when you drive from here to Wincanton. It is the worst drive of all and personally I have tried several routes and there is little difference in the time it takes.
Never the warmest racecourse when you get there but when you have a winner all that is soon forgotten.
Aiden Murphy and I saw Red River at the Tattersalls Cheltenham April Sales and loved him. Bernadette Murphy, who I had bought Another Venture off last year promised that Red River would be better.. So far she is right.
A good and impressive win in what looked a decent novice hurdle race. Happy owners.. The Red River Syndicate..Sally Grant, John and Laura Garrett, Brian Cognet, Chris Trigg and Caroline Swire.
Cheltenham on Saturday had over 18 thousand people there and they had some good racing to watch.
Sonneofpresenting ran probably the best race he has all season to finish 6th.. He just failed to get up the hill second time and perhaps the trip was just a tad too far. He has had a busy summer so will now have a break and return for a spring campaign. Mon Palois was a bit over awed by Cheltenham’s parade ring but ran to his form to finish 4th.. more to come from him when he is handicapped.
Cheltenham now have stunning owner facilities.. Hopefully Wincanton and Exeter will follow suit.. Their O/T rooms are far too small ..
All in all not too bad a weekend.
Not a bad weekend for Aiden O’Brien.. some trainer he be? In another form of racing Lewis Hamilton is not bad either, yes he is some driver.. Both Aiden and Lewis are the best around at the moment and possibly the best ever.
Good to read in my Sunday Telegraph an article on the House Of Bruar. It made interesting reading and we like them as they are decent enough to take a full page advert in my horses in training brochure…. Mrs B likes them too..
The clocks going back an hour yesterday was a sign that winter is here.. my body clock has not moved with the times.... up and padding around the house at 4.15am was not a good start to the day..
Monday morning and we worked Johnny Ocean and Rocky’s Treasure.
Third lot Emma Buchanan and John and Susie Kottler were here to see their home bred fill Sea Story canter.
John Cootes sent this over..
Red River one of the all time great B&W movies ..and a great name for a winning horse.
You can't beat a good John Wayne Western, here are some famous great lines from John Wayne movies including RED RIVER
1. "Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight!"
2. "All battles are fought by scared men who’d rather be someplace else."
3. "Don’t say it's a fine morning or I'll shoot ya."
4. "Hey, stupid! Where do you think you're going? Get back there with the herd, you muttonhead!"
5. "I've got a touch of hangover, bureaucrat. Don't push me."
6. "Friend, you better get another line of work; this one sure don't fit your pistol."
7. "Snakes like you usually die of their own poison."
8. "Young fella, if you’re looking; for trouble I’ll accommodate ya."
9. "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
10. "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday."
To finish..Sorry the gallop camera is down.. we are investigating